Veterans' Frequently Asked Questions About Job Searches

Vandenberg Job Fair at the Pacific Coast Club
A senior airman talks to a potential employer at the Vandenberg Job Fair at the Pacific Coast Club. (Staff Sgt. Levi Riendeau/U.S. Air Force photo)

Applying for civilian employment after your transition can be a little daunting, and it can be fraught with uncertainty. If you're looking for a job and not sure of what employment programs veterans qualify for, or how to get your resume to military-friendly employers, check out these frequently asked questions from veterans, originally posted on the Department of Labor's website.

Question: I have a service-disconnected disability. Are there special programs for me?

AnswerThe Veterans' Employment and Training Service (VETS) offers information on a variety of programs specifically designed to assist veterans in employment and other issues.

Q: How do I find out whether I qualify for veterans' preference?

A: Veterans' preference is available to certain categories of veterans when applying for jobs with the federal government. Eligibility requirements and other regulations dealing with veterans' preference are regulated by the Office of Personnel Management. States may also have their own veterans' preference regulations for state and government jobs.

Q: Where can I get information about veterans' preference in federal hiring?

A: The Office of Personnel Management administers and interprets the laws relating to veterans' preference. Information is available on its website at and in this article.

The Department of Labor has developed a veterans' preference elaws (Employment Laws Assistance for Workers and Small Businesses) adviser system that contains information related to enforcement of veterans' preference. 

Q: I will be discharged from the service in a few months. How do I prepare for civilian life?

A: More than 111,000 transitioning service members take advantage of a three- to five-day Transition Assistance Program (TAP) workshop offered at 174 military installations nationwide. TAP workshops give information on finding jobs in the civilian labor force and about the benefits and services available to veterans and their families.

Legislation recently was passed that allows military personnel within one year of separating from the military service and service members within two years of military retirement the opportunity to attend TAP workshops. For further information, contact your installation Family Support Center or military command.

The e-VETS resource adviser is an online tool designed to help veterans preparing to enter the job market. It includes information on a broad range of topics, such as job-search tools and tips, employment openings, career assessment, education and training, and benefits and special services available to veterans.

For a customizable transition plan, you can also utilize's Transition Center and a free downloadable transition app.

Q: How can I get my resume to military-friendly companies?

A: Veterans can post their resumes on's job board where military-friendly companies search for veterans or transitioning service members to fill their open positions. Or veterans can contact a Disabled Veterans Outreach Program (DVOP) employment representative or local veterans employment representative (LVER) at a local employment service office to find military-friendly companies.

If you have more questions about your transition and reentry into the civilian workforce, visit's Military Transition Center.

Find the Right Veteran Job

Whether you want to polish your resume, find veteran job fairs in your area or connect with employers looking to hire veterans, can help. Subscribe to to have job postings, guides and advice, and more delivered directly to your inbox.

Story Continues