Members of the Selective Reserves are eligible for tuition assistance. However each of the Armed Forces determines how to administer their own Tuition Assistance (TA). In addition each state may offer its National Guard servicemembers state funded education incentives based on state guidelines and eligibility (i.e. TA, waivers, exemptions, student loan repayment, etc.)
Army Reserve (USAR)
The USAR offers:
- Enlisted personnel - 100% tuition assistance, up to $250 per semester hour, or $166 per quarter hour, not to exceed $4,500 annually.
- Officers - 75% tuition assistance, up to $250 per semester hour, $166 per quarter hour, and $4,500 per fiscal year for those pursuing a bachelors degree.
- The soldier must be a drilling reservist in good standing.
- The soldier must declare an educational goal leading to a credential higher than current degree level.
- Enlisted soldiers and warrant officers must have sufficient time remaining on their term of service to complete the course before separation.
- Commissioned officers must have at least four years of Selected Reserve service remaining from the date of completion of the course for which tuition assistance is provided.
- The soldier must enroll for the independent study course following Army Reserve procedures.
Contact your local Army Reserve Education Office for assistance with TA or any other voluntary education assistance. Army Reservists may go to GoArmyEd and sign in using their AKO login and password to submit TA requests online.
Navy Reserve (USNR)
There are currently no Tuition Assistance programs for the Navy Reserve. However, if you are activated under Title 10 then you qualify for the active duty Navy Tuition Assistance.
Marine Corps Reserve (USMCR)
There are currently no Tuition Assistance programs for the Marine Corps Reserve. However, if you are activated under Title 10 then you qualify for the active duty Marine Corps Tuition Assistance.
Air Force Reserve (USAFR)
- Undergraduate (Associates and Bachelors Degrees)
- 100% tuition assistance for undergraduate degree programs
- Not to exceed $250 per semester hour, or $166.67 per quarter hour
- Up to $4,500 annually per servicemember.
- Graduate Studies (Masters Degree)
- 75% tuition assistance for graduate degree programs
- Not to exceed $250 per semester hour, or $166 per quarter hour
- Up to $4,500 annually.
Contact your education service officer for information on how to apply for tuition assistance and other programs.
Coast Guard Reserve (USCGR)
The Coast Guard offers selected reservists:
- 100% tuition assistance up to $250 per semester hour, or $166.67 per quarter hour
- Not to exceed $2,250 annually per servicemember.
- Contact your Coast Guard ESO for information on how to apply for tuition assistance and other programs.
Keep Up With Your Education Benefits
Whether you need a guide on how to use your GI Bill, want to take advantage of tuition assistance and scholarships, or get the lowdown on education benefits available for your family, Military.com can help. Sign up for a free Military.com membership to have education tips and benefits updates delivered directly to your inbox.