The Navy Tuition Assistance program (TA) pays up to 100% of tuition and required fees for taking college courses while on active duty.
Navy Tuition Assistance Eligibility
TA is available to both Navy officer and enlisted active duty and reservists on continuous active duty. It's also available to enlisted reservists ordered to active duty 120 days and to reserve officers ordered to active duty for 2 years or more. To qualify, you must:
- have at least three years time-in-service before applying for benefits
- be on active duty for the whole length of the course.
- attend an accredited school.
- get counseling from a Navy College Office or Virtual Education Center Counselor
- provide all grades from previously funded TA courses and reimburse all W and F grades. (Withdrawals for involuntary reasons may be granted with command verification.)
- Active duty enlisted with under 16 years of service and reservists on active duty orders must have 12 months or more remaining on their current enlistment or extension as of the course start date.
- An officer must agree to remain on active duty for at least two years upon completion of courses funded by TA. Officers must also be O-3 or above to be eligible.
Effective Oct. 1, 2021 all sailors are limited to 18 semester hours (or their quarter hour equivalent) TA per fiscal year. Sailors can only use TA to fund two courses each quarter of the fiscal year. They are also limited to 120 semester hours for their entire career.
You can be reimbursed up to 100% of the cost of the course, not to exceed:
- $250.00 per semester hour
- $166.67 per quarter hour
- $4,500 per fiscal year
You must pay any back any TA you receive for:
- undergraduate classes you get a D or lower in
- graduate classes you get a C or lower in
- any classes you get any non-passing or incomplete grade in
- Contact your Navy College Office or the Virtual Education Center to get educational counseling either in person, virtually, by phone or email. With your academic advisor, determine which courses will be requested for TA funding.
- Complete a TA Application in WebTA listing course(s). Check with your institution to make sure the amounts for tuition you listed are correct. Fees may not be paid using TA funds.
- Start your application 30 days in advance of the term start date.
- To apply for Tuition Assistance electronically from any computer, go to https://www.navycollege.navy.mil, and click on Secure Tuition Assistance & Other Funding.
- You may log-in via CAC or DEERS.
- Every TA application MUST be Command Approved prior to being forwarded to the VEC.
Requirements for Command Approval
- Must have served one-year on-board in their FIRST permanent duty station (this requirement may be waived by CO)
- Will serve on active duty through the last day of the course.
- Pass the most recent Physical Fitness Assessment or received a waiver.
- Took their most recent advancement exam, if applicable, and be recommended for advancement or promotion.
- Have not received a NJP within 6 months or not pending administrative separation.
- Have at least a 3.0 on their most recent evaluation or fitness report.
- Not under instruction in initial skills training or in a duty under instruction training status.
For further program details and Navy Tuition Assistance program updates visit the Official Navy College website.
Keep Up With Your Education Benefits
Whether you need a guide on how to use your GI Bill, want to take advantage of tuition assistance and scholarships, or get the lowdown on education benefits available for your family, Military.com can help. Subscribe to Military.com to have education tips and benefits updates delivered directly to your inbox.