With more than 7,000 U.S.-based nonprofits helping veterans and military families, how do you know which are respected and reputable?
If you're looking for a nonprofit to work for or donate your time or money to, consider the GreatNonProfits.org list of 31 Top-Rated Veterans Nonprofits. The list is based on user ratings, with the criterion of helping those in need.
Related: For the latest veteran jobs postings around the country, visit the Military.com Job Search section.
You might also find this list useful if you are a veteran looking for help as you transition to the civilian world. What follows is a rundown of top nonprofits that provide a broad spectrum of help, from providing counseling and scholarships to free event tickets.
10 of the Top-Rated Veteran Nonprofits
Here are 10 of the top-rated nonprofits, going off the number of reviews and high ratings combined.
Veteran Tickets Foundation, Tempe, Ariz. (Rating: 4.89 stars, 2,019 reviews)
Supports military, veterans and their families by providing free tickets to sporting events, concerts and family activities (with a small delivery fee).
Operation Troop Appreciation, West Mifflin, Pa. (Rating: 4.98 stars, 241 reviews)
Provides wish-list items for deployed military units across the globe, with a special focus on those serving in Afghanistan, the Middle East and Africa. The wish-list items are intended to ease the burden of deployment, contribute to safety and enable our troops to perform more effectively.
Reel American Heroes Foundation, Woodbridge, Va. (Rating: 5 stars, 202 reviews)
Works with military hospitals and military bases to provide recreational therapy for our nation's wounded soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines, disabled veterans and combat veterans by getting them out on the water to fish and go duck hunting.
Freedom Alliance, Dulles, Va. (Rating: 4.95 stars, 184 reviews)
Aims to advance the American heritage of freedom by honoring and encouraging military service, defending the sovereignty of the United States and promoting a strong national defense through such programs as scholarships for the children of veterans.
Operation Second Chance Inc., Germantown, Md. (Rating: 4.92 stars, 110 reviews)
Works to serve wounded, injured and ill combat veterans by building relationships and identifying and supporting immediate needs and interests. They provide help through counseling, retreats, hospital visits and more.
Starfish Foundation Inc., Milwaukee (Rating: 4.95 stars, 97 reviews)
Raises funds for scholarships to assist individuals to attend programs for emotional healing, including providing programs for military veterans to heal the emotional wounds of war.
Genesis Joy House Homeless Shelter Inc., Warner Robins, Ga. (Rating: 4.84 stars, 77 reviews)
Facilitates social change and empowers veterans and the community by providing enrichment programs and counseling services to improve the quality of life.
Green Beret Foundation, San Antonio (Rating: 5 stars, 70 reviews)
Provides help for wounded Green Berets and their families, and the families of those that gave their lives for our country.
Bikersinc, Indianapolis (Rating: 5 stars, 51 reviews)
Through their Bikers Helping Veterans program, Bikersinc helps bridge the gap between the battlefield and homefront by assisting returning veterans.
Esposas Militares Hispanas USA Armed Forces, Schertz, Texas (Rating: 5 stars, 51 reviews)
Creates awareness and helps provide information to Hispanic military spouses regarding benefits, scholarships, insurance and more. They also offer translation services and other support, as well as scholarships.
More Top-Rated Veteran Nonprofits
- Operation Supply Drop Inc., Austin, Texas (Rating: 4.98 stars, 48 reviews
- Military Mama Network NFP, Joliet, Ill. (Rating: 4.92 stars, 53 reviews)
- Guardian Angels Medical Service Dogs Inc., Williston, Fla. (Rating: 4.87 stars, 52 reviews)
- H.E.R.O.E.S. Care Inc., Fenton, Mo. (Rating: 4.92 stars, 60 reviews)
- Swords to Plowshares, San Francisco (Rating: 4.85 stars, 52 reviews)
- FourBlock Foundation Inc., New York (Rating: 4.96 stars, 28 reviews)
- Healing4Heroes Inc., Peachtree City, Ga. (Rating: 4.95 stars, 20 reviews)
- Working Dogs for Vets, Lawrenceburg, Tenn. (Rating: 5 stars, 14 reviews)
- Pets Enriching Troops Association, Wilmington, Del. (Rating: 5 stars, 10 reviews)
- Backpacks for Life Inc., Verona, N.J. (Rating: 4.87 stars, 15 reviews)
- Warrior Bonfire Program, Clinton, Miss. (Rating: 5 stars, 22 reviews)
- U.S. Naval Sea Cadet Corps, Arlington, Va. (Rating: 4.97 stars, 39 reviews)
- The Jonas Project, Long Beach, Calif. (Rating: 5 stars, 29 reviews)
- Allen Soldier Memorabilia Boxes Inc., Paso Robles, Calif. (Rating: 5 stars, 18 reviews)
- Wounded Warrior Support Network, San Diego (Rating: 5 stars, 12 reviews)
- Central Florida Chapter, Paralyzed Veterans of America, Sanford, Fla. (Rating: 5 stars, 11 reviews)
- Operation Love Our Vets, Felton, Calif. (Rating: 4.94 stars, 17 reviews)
- Alpha Omega Veterans Services Inc., Memphis, Tenn. (Rating: 4.88 stars, 25 reviews)
- Just Our Soldiers' Helpers Inc., Lake Mary, Fla. (Rating: 4.98 stars, 43 reviews)
- Warfighter Foundation, Houston (Rating: 4.61 stars, 41 reviews)
- Military Warriors Support Foundation, San Antonio (Rating: 4.41 stars, 147 reviews)
- TrainOurTroops, Austin, Texas (Rating: 4.8 stars, 10 reviews)
- Veteran's PATH, San Rafael, Calif. (Rating: 5 stars, 10 reviews)
- Semper K9 Assistance Dogs, Woodbridge, Va. (Rating: 4.73 stars, 15 reviews)
- USA Cares Inc., Radcliff, Ky. (Rating: 4.1 stars, 51 reviews)
- Florida Urban Agriculture Inc., Orlando, Fla. (Rating: 5 stars, 10 reviews)
For more information on each nonprofit, visit GreatNonProfits.org.
Related: Does your resume pass the 6-second test? Get a FREE assessment.
The Next Step: Find the Right Veteran Job
Whether you want to polish up your resume, find veteran job fairs in your area, or connect with employers looking to hire veterans, Military.com can help. Sign up for a free Military.com membership to have job postings, guides and advice, and more delivered directly to your inbox.