Pregnant by a Married Soldier

Ms. Vicki
Ms. Vicki

Dear Ms. Vicki,

I had a relationship with an active-duty soldier. We met in 2010 and I got pregnant. We lived together until he left for Afghanistan. When he was there, my baby girl was born. So because we weren’t married (he didn’t want to get married) my daughter does not have his last name.

I found out few months later after he left for Afghanistan the real reason why he doesn’t want to get married. It’s because he was married already. He had told me he was divorced but that wasn’t the truth. They were separated but not divorced. Now we are having problems because after I found out, I don’t want to be with him. But he says if we aren’t together, he won’t pay me child support or sign the paternity papers.Will the Army help me with this situation?

Thanks, Unmarried Mom

Dear Unmarried Mom,

Thank you for writing me with this important question. First of all, continue to take care of yourself and your daughter. I’m sure she is a very beautiful and deserves to have two emotionally healthy parents who are very vested in her well-being.

If she only has you, then you will have to be the best mother you can be. You both deserve the best. Now to answer your question: I know many men who are not married to the mother of their children, but they sign the birth certificates and give the child their last name. He didn’t want to because he was married. I really regret this happened.

You can get his unit involved if you know the unit he is assigned to. If he is deployed, they still have commanders in the “rear” who deal with these concerns. You should also get your state child support involved too. Let me know what happens. I wish you and your daughter all the best.

Sincerely, Ms. Vicki

Keep Up with the Ins and Outs of Military Life 

For the latest military news and tips on military family benefits and more, subscribe to and have the information you need delivered directly to your inbox.

Show Full Article