Beginning April 12, transgender individuals with gender dysphoria or who have initiated treatment or swapped genders will no longer be able to join the U.S. military, in most cases. The Defense Department released a policy March 12 that allows the roughly 1,000 existing transgender troops who have gender dysphoria or have transitioned to remain in the military and continue seeking career opportunities, such as promotions, advanced training, transfers and officer accessions. About 9,000 individuals identified themselves as transgender in a recent survey of active-duty troops, yet just 1,000 personnel have been diagnosed with gender dysphoria, Pentagon officials said March 13 during a call with reporters. Read more about the policy change on Military.com.
The 9,000 Transgender Troops in Uniform Will Continue to Serve
Current issue of the Military Report
- VA Won't Ramp Up Security After Rash of Suicides on Premises. Here's Why.
- Military Exchanges Tune Out TV News Due to 'Divisive Political Nature'
- Lawmaker Renews Push to Get Vietnam-Era Airman Medal of Honor
- VA Looks to Create Artificial Organs, Even Bones, With 3D Printing
- Is SGLI Enough? $100k Coverage from Just $7 a Month
- The Coast Guard Is Giving Away 4 Historic Florida Keys Lighthouses
- Army Launches Registry for Troops, Families with Housing-Related Health Issues
- Join City National Bank and Let Your Military Experience Shine
- Airmen Face Challenges Buying New OCP Uniforms
- Rates Are Rising: Use Your $0 Down VA Loan Benefit Now
- Shanahan Launches New Task Force on Military Sexual Assault
- Eliminate Out of Pocket Costs with a Tricare Supplement
- Commissary's Spring Sidewalk Program Offers Savings
- Incentives Aim to Reduce Pilot Attrition
- Damaged USS Fitzgerald Leaves Dry Dock After 15 Months of Repairs
- Dolphins from the USS Thresher Passed On
- Army May Add More Security Measures to Online Systems
- Oldest Military Units Conduct Joint Muster
- Soldiers Save 4 After Plane Crash
- Soldiers in South Korea Awarded for Fighting Fire
- Marine Diversity Office Changes Name