The Joint Services Transcript

filling out paperwork

The Joint Services Transcript (JST) provides a description of military schooling and work history in civilian language. It serves as a counseling tool for academic and career counselors in advising service members and veterans. It serves as an aid in preparing resumes and explaining Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, National Guard and Navy work experience to civilian employers. It also saves time and money by awarding academic credits, which means less tuition to pay and less time spent in the classroom.

The JST is accepted by more than 2,300 colleges and universities.

What Is The Joint Services Transcript?

JST is the Joint Services Transcript that has replaced the Coast Guard Institute Transcript, the Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS) and the Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART). JST is an academically accepted document approved by the American Council on Education (ACE) to validate a service member's military occupational experience and training along with the corresponding ACE college credit recommendations.

Who Is Eligible For A Joint Services Transcript?

All enlisted, officers and warrant officers, both active and veterans from all Army components, Coast Guard, Marine Corps and Navy.  Note that JST receives its data from underlying Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps and Navy personnel systems.  Air Force personnel should contact CCAF to receive transcripts

What Information Does The Joint Services Transcript Contain?

The JST includes:

  • Personal service member data
  • Military course completions—all courses that have been evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE), with full descriptions and credit recommendations
  • Military occupations—full descriptions, skill levels, and credit recommendations
  • College level test scores—CLEP, DSST, NCPACE, ACT/PEP, and Excelsior
  • Other learning experiences—additional completed courses and occupations that have not been evaluated by ACE for college credit
  • A summary page with Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Course Category Codes
  • An academic institution courses page (not available for Army JSTs)

How Do I Access My Joint Services Transcript?

Once you have logged into the JST website, click on the link at the top that says "Transcripts". From there, you can view your transcript by using the "Transcript" link. This page also has links that allow you to view your transcript. The transcript contains sections for Military Course Completions, Military Experience and College Level Test Scores. You can print or save the transcript for your records.

You do not have to be active duty in order to access the JST website and your transcript. Active duty, Reserve, Veterans or National Guard personnel can use JST. You will need to first register for a JST account. Air Force personnel should contact CCAF to receive transcripts 

How Do I Send The Information In My Joint Services Transcript To A School?

After you log on to the JST website you will click the "Transcript" link at the top of the page and then on the "Transcripts menu" you will click the "Official Transcript Request. On the next page, search for the school and select the institution from the list. Select the correct institution (verify spelling and location are correct) in the resulting search results.  On the next page, acknowledge the consent statement and click "Yes".  NOTE: In the event your school is not listed, please have your school representative contact the JST office to be added.

It is up to each institution to decide what ACE credit recommendations can be accepted, modified, or rejected. Whether an academic institution accepts the credit recommendations depends on its policies and procedures for transfer credit, your program of study, and your degree requirements.

Most institutions will only use unofficial transcripts for counseling purposes to assist the Service Member during the registration process. The unofficial transcript is available for Service Members to print for their personal use. There is no cost for JST transcripts.

How Do I Request An Official Transcript For Employment?

Please complete an Official JST Consent and Request Form with the employer information and follow the instructions on the form.

For More Information

Visit the Joint Services Transcript website for details.

Keep Up With Your Education Benefits

Whether you need a guide on how to use your GI Bill, want to take advantage of tuition assistance and scholarships, or get the lowdown on education benefits available for your family, can help. Sign up for a free membership to have education tips and benefits updates delivered directly to your inbox.

Show Full Article