Veterans living overseas can get help receiving their VA benefits directly from the VA through a special program.
The Department of Veterans Affairs Overseas Military Service Coordinator (OMSC) program offers specialized assistance to veterans living overseas, with either in-person or virtual assistance.
With the advent of COVID-19, the virtual assistance program has been expanded and extended to at least Oct. 1, 2022, according to a July 22 email newsletter.
The virtual assistance program is in addition to the in-person assistance offered at Landstuhl Air Force Base, Germany, and Camp Humphreys, South Korea.
Veterans living in Europe should contact the Landstuhl OMSC using the following information:
- Phone: DSN 314.590.8200; Commercial :+49 (0) 6371 9464 8200
- E-mail: GermanyBDD.VBAPIT@VA.GOV
- Location: Landstuhl Regional Medical Center Building 3724, Rooms 110 and 112 Landstuhl, AE 66849
- Visitor hours: Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-noon and 1:15-3 p.m local time.
Veterans living in Asia should contact the Camp Humphreys OMSC using the following Information:
- Phone: DSN 757-2914; commercial: 050-3357-2914
- E-mail: KoreaBDD.email@example.com
- Location: Camp Humphreys Department of Veterans Affairs USAG Camp Humphreys BLDG P-6400 APO, AP 96271-5228
- Visitor hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-noon, 1-4 p.m local.
Veterans wishing to make appointments at either location are encouraged to schedule a virtual or in-person appointment on the Visitor Engagement Reporting Application (VERA), the VA's appointment scheduler.
The same VA office that processes Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD) claims also assists overseas veterans. The Benefits Delivery at Discharge program is a VA program that allows separating military members to file their disability claim up to 180 days before being discharged, to speed up receipt of benefits.
In addition to the OMSC program, the VA offers several contact methods for veterans wishing to receive assistance or solve problems with their benefits:
- Online: Ask VA website
- Telephone: 412-395-6272 from 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Eastern, Monday-Friday
- GI Bill questions: 918-781-5678 from 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Eastern, Monday-Friday
- Direct deposit and currency conversion: 918-781-7550 from 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Eastern, Monday-Friday
Overseas veterans can also receive benefits assistance from the American embassy or consulate in their local country. They can visit Social Security’s Foreign Country Service Information page for a list of federal benefits units with specially trained staff that can provide assistance with all types of government benefits and assistance questions.
Veterans living in the Philippines can also visit the Manila VA office for assistance with benefits and medical issues. There is also a VA hospital in Manila.
Stay on Top of Your Veteran Benefits
Military benefits are always changing. Keep up with everything from pay to health care by subscribing to Military.com, and get access to up-to-date pay charts and more with all latest benefits delivered straight to your inbox.