Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) provides special compensation to retirees who have retired pay reduced because of receiving U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) disability compensation. This means that qualified military retirees with 20 or more years of service that have "combat related" VA-rated disability will no longer have their military retirement pay reduced by the amount of their VA disability compensation. Instead they will receive both their full military retirement pay and their VA disability compensation.
Once a military retiree has been determined to be qualified they will receive their regular retirement pay plus an additional sum based on their VA disability rating.
Combat-Related Special Compensation Eligibility
The following CRSC eligibility requirements apply:
In order for members to be eligible for CRSC, they must meet all of the following criteria:
- Receive military retirement pay for one of the following reasons:
- Served on Active Duty, the Reserves, or National Guard with 20 years of creditable service;
- Served on Active Duty, the Reserves, or National Guard and is also a permanent medical retiree (Chapter 61) regardless of years served;
- Served on Active Duty, the Reserves, or National Guard and is classified as a Temporary Disability Retirement List retiree regardless of years served; or
- Served on Active Duty, the Reserves, or National Guard and is classified as a Temporary Early Retirement Act retiree with 15-19 years served.
- Have 10% or greater VA rated injury that is combat-related.
- Military retirement pay is reduced by VA disability payments (VA Waiver).
- Must be able to provide documentation that injury was a result of one of the following:
- Purple Heart
- Armed Conflict
- Simulating War
- Hazardous Service
- Instrumentality of War
- Agent Orange
- Radiation Exposure
- Gulf War
The Value of the CRSC Benefit:
Actual payments are determined by DFAS and vary by individual.
The CRSC Application Process:
To receive Combat Related Special Compensation you must submit your application through your parent military service branch. Each service branch has the authority to determine your eligibility.
For more information on how to apply contact your parent military service branches CRSC website:
- AIR FORCE CRSC Program Office 550 C Street West Joint Base San Antonio - Randolph, TX 78150 Phone: 210-565-0102 Website: http://www.afpc.af.mil/Combat-Related-Special-Compensation/
- ARMY Department of the Army U.S. Army Human Resources Command ATTN: AHRC-PDR-C (CRSC), Dept. 420 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue Fort Knox, KY 40122-5402 Phone: 888-276-9471 Website: https://www.hrc.army.mil/content/CRSC
- COAST GUARD USCG PSC Commander (CG-PSC-PSD-de) Mailstop 7200 4200 Wilson Boulevard Arlington, VA 22203-7200 Phone: 800-772-8274 Website: www.uscg.mil/ppc/ras/CRDP-CRSC-News.asp
- NAVY and MARINE CORPS Department of the Navy Secretary of the Navy Council of Review Boards Attn: Combat-Related Special Compensation Branch 720 Kennon Street SE, Suite 309 Washington Navy Yard, DC 20374-5023 Phone: 877-366-2772 Website: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/mra/CORB/Pages/CRSCB/default.aspx
Keep Up With Military Pay Updates
Military pay benefits are constantly changing. Make sure you're up-to-date with everything you've earned. Subscribe to Military.com to receive updates on all of your military pay and benefits, delivered directly to your inbox.