Family Separation Allowance


A servicemember with dependents who serves an unaccompanied tour of duty or is away from their homeport may be entitled to a Family Separation Allowance (FSA) of up to $250 a month. 

For your personalized pay and allowance computation check out our Military Pay Calculator.

FSA accrues from the day of departure from the home station and ends the day prior to arrival at the home station. This is in addition to any per diem or other entitlements.

There are three types of FSA:

  1. FSA Restricted (FSA-R) - Payable to members whose dependents do not live in the vicinity of the member’s permanent duty station, and the transportation to the permanent duty station at government expense isn't authorized
  2. FSA Ship (FSA-S) - Payable to members assigned to a ship, and the ship is away from the homeport continuously for more than 30 days.
  3. FSA Temporary (FSA-T) - Payable to members on temporary duty away from their permanent duty state for more than 30 continuous days

Service members that choose to serve an unaccompanied tour aren't entitled to FSA-R.

In situations where servicemembers are married to another servicemember, family separation allowance is authorized for one member if the members were residing together immediately before the separation.

Keep Up With Military Pay Updates

Military pay benefits are constantly changing. Make sure you're up-to-date with everything you've earned. Subscribe to to receive updates on all of your military pay and benefits, delivered directly to your inbox.

Story Continues
Allowances Military Pay