Tricare Young Adult Prime is a health care program for young adults between the ages of 21 - 26 who are no longer eligible to remain on their parent's health care program. Tricare Young Adult Prime covers health care and pharmacy benefits.
How It Works
The Tricare Young Adult-Prime Option works the same as Tricare Prime. You'll have an assigned primary care manager (PCM) who provides most of your care. The PCM:
- is either a military or network provider
- refers you to specialists for care he or she can't provide
- works with your regional contractor for authorization and to find a specialist in the network
- files claims for you
Who Can Select the Prime Option?
- Children of active duty sponsors in all U.S. locations and in all overseas areas (if command-sponsored)
- Children of retired sponsors only in Prime Service Areas
The program has an annual deductible and copayments which are due at time of service just like the Tricare Prime program.
The current premium is $459 per month. When you first enroll, you must pay the first two month's premiums up-front. You can pay by check, money order, or credit/debit card. From then on all monthly premiums must be made by automatic bank transfer or recurring credit/debit card payments.
See our Tricare Prime Coverage Overview page for more information.
Keep Up with Changes to Tricare and Your Other Benefits
Want to know about changes in military benefits as they happen? Subscribe to Military.com to get the latest benefits news delivered directly straight to your inbox.